Our 10th Annual Crawfish Boil was one for the books. We had Charles Thibodeaux and the Austin Cajun Aces playing some great cajun music in the background. We had a photo booth where everyone had a lot of fun dressing up and being silly. Most important, we had some great Crawfish, and sides of Chicken & Sausage Gumbo, Red Beans & Rice, and Shrimp Etouffee. The rumor is that the Shrimp Etouffee was the best, besides the Crawfish, of course!
Thank you to everyone who came out and enjoyed the beautiful weather, great views, and wonderful conversations. We couldn’t have asked for better weather, and as usual, the view from the Zilker Clubhouse was incredible.
For immediate release
September 21, 2011
Federal funding will help Austin-area homes become safer, healthier
The City of Austin will evaluate approximately 180 homes for hazardous lead, and assist with removal if lead is discovered, after being awarded a $2.5 million grant from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
HUD awarded $93 million in grants nationwide for a myriad of programs intended to protect children and families from potentially dangerous lead-based paint and other home health and safety hazards. Lead is a known toxin that can impair children’s development and have effects lasting into adulthood.
“We want Austin residents to feel safe, and truly be safe, in their homes. With this grant, we can educate the community about the hazardous nature of lead and continue outreach to households that might be a risk,” said Betsy Spencer, Director of Neighborhood Housing and Community Development.
With the Lead Hazard Reduction Demonstration grant, the City will evaluate and remediate lead-based paint hazards in approximately 180 homes and conduct outreach and education. Residents living in homes built before 1978 should contact Coby Ramirez with the City’s Neighborhood Housing and Community Development Office at (512) 974-3122 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Hazard Control Grant Programs
These funds are provided through HUD’s Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control and Lead Hazard Reduction Demonstration grant programs.
Even though lead-based paint was banned for residential use in 1978, HUD estimates approximately 24 million homes still have significant lead-based paint hazards. Lead-contaminated dust is the primary cause of lead exposure and can lead to a variety of health problems in young children, including reduced IQ, learning disabilities, developmental delays, reduced height and impaired hearing. At higher levels, lead can damage a child’s kidneys and central nervous system and cause anemia, coma, convulsions and even death.
Jill Goodman, Communications & Public Information, (512) 974-2240
YNN (Your News Now) did a news piece on what happens after a fire. How the families in Steiner Ranch work on getting their homes back to normal. They went into a couple Southpro customer’s homes in Steiner Ranch to cover the clean up process.
The Steiner Ranch fire is now 75 percent contained, according to officials on Wednesday. Residents who were evacuated from the subdivision have since returned and are now working to get things back to normal.
Watch Video below
On September 7th, Bastrop County Office of Emergency Management posted a checklist from a local Bastrop company about questions to ask when seeking remediation services. Southpro has answered these questions!
What questions should you ask when seeking remediation services for tragic life incidents?
You are embarking on making a decision that is part of the process of getting you back to a more normal state of being after a crisis. The company representative should be able to answer your questions on the spot and NOT deviate from your concerns. If you do not understand what they are saying or if your questions are not being answered, then this should be a red flag. You need to protect yourself and the person you are dealing with should be one that understands such caution. These are a few recommendations from Total Decon Inc., a crime and trauma scene cleanup company based in Bastrop County. These questions and ideas are ones that you can use to arm yourself against a scam while you are in dire need of real assistance.
The Southpro team spent last Tuesday making lunch for the 25 families staying at the Ronald McDonald House near Dell Children’s Hospital. This was a great way for us to give back to such a great organization! We brought in groceries, and cooked spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, and made salad for 30 people. Their lunches and dinners are donated and cooked by volunteers every day.
Below are our stories that made giving back to Ronald McDonald house so important to us:
Our son Keegan was born with a heart problem and required multiple surgeries and months in the hospital. We had the Austin RMH available during the many months Keegan was hospitalized. The care that is taken to address your every need is astounding. The focus is truly on your situation and how to alleviate outside pressures and allow you to focus on your child. We stayed at the RMH in Dallas recently. Keegan required a 5 week stay at the Baylor Medicals’ “Our Children’s House”. This is the premier facility for assisting in eating disorders. We were able to qualify for the RMH program and were blown away to say the least. The facility is first class. The staff is warm and caring. All your needs are considered. The most important factor about being able to stay at RMH Dallas is that Keegan has a consistent place to stay while going to the clinic. He became very familiar with everyone and where the fun stuff was located. The bottom line is that because of RMH, the children get their parents with them as much as possible and the parents can focus on the child and not so many other cares. RMH is a blessing and somewhat of a miracle for so many families.
Dwight McDuffie, Southpro Restoration Project Manager
Ronald McDonald House has “Family Rooms” located in hospitals across the country. Last October my daughter was born at 33 weeks, so she had to spend 11 days in NICU at North Austin Medical Center. The Family Room is located outside of the NICU at NAMC so that parents with children in the NICU can have a place to relax. I used this room every day in between visiting Haley, and it really was such a blessing to have that room available during such stressful times!
Crystal Green, Southpro Restoration Marketing Manager
Only a small portion of the Ronald McDonald House is funded by McDonalds. Most of their funding comes from fundraisers, donations, and the donation bins at McDonalds. The McDonalds donation bins are given to the closest Ronald McDonald House. So make sure to drop your extra change in that bin the next time you get McDonalds!
Southpro participated in IREM’s Bowling Through the Decades on June 24th, and we were voted the “Most Spirited” group! We decided to go with the 70′s, so our guys were dressed in thier best 70′s suits and accessories!!
Dwight also participated in the “Dance Off,” and lets just say he Stole The Show!! He won the $40 cash prize, but asked that the winnings go to a young child that participated in the contest.
Southpro had a great time at the tournament. Our bowling skills are not the best, but at least we have fun!!
HATS OFF TO BOMA!! BOMA’s Fall Extravaganza 2011 will be at the UT Club on October 19th.
With our continued dedication to the support of the commercial properties in Austin, Southpro is excited to be the Event Sponsor for BOMA Austin’s annual Fall Extravaganza. We have held events at the UT Club in the past, and it is certainly a location that showcases the beauty of Austin. Make sure you look for our logo on the jumbotron as you drive past!
The annual Fall Extravaganza is an event for all BOMA members to attend! BOMA Austin is the Building Owners & Managers Association, and we appreciate the business and support that BOMA members provide Southpro year after year!
Southpro is pleased to be the Top Chili Pepper sponsor for the Austin Association of Facility and Maintenance Engineers (AAFAME) Annual Chili Slam.
“We are so excited to sponsor the Chili Slam for the second time in history,” said Erin Whalen, Southpro’s AAFAME representative. “This association represents a large number of our clients and partners, so we appreciate the opportunity to give back.”
The event, which takes place on April 28th, is open to anyone in AAFAME. More information can be found here: www.chilislam.com.
Can someone say BRRRRRRR??!!!! Not only does this weather bring out the bulky coats, but it brings out potential problems like pipe bursts, weakened plumbing systems, and fires from malfunctioning heaters and equipment. As always, the team at Southpro is working around the clock to make sure our customers are taken care of. We are responding to pipe bursts, water damage, fire damage, smoke, odors and all other emergencies this February Freeze brings.
If you need any assistance, please call our offices at:
SAN ANTONIO: 210.637.7044
TOLL FREE: 800.809.1422
Stay warm and stay safe!!
Southpro Restoration Services
Austin’s Cambridge Towers suffered massive fire and smoke damage after a fire broke out on the 8th floor on January 3, 2010. Southpro Restoration Services, who has had a longstanding partnership with the condominium building, is currently providing restoration services for the building and its tenants.
Our goal is to get these residents back into their homes as quickly and efficiently as possible. Crews are working around the clock to ensure high customer service for the building’s residents. Communication between residents and Southpro’s staff is also high priority.
Those with additional questions about the Cambridge Towers restoration project should contact the Austin office at 512.444.4500. Residents should visit Southpro’s Command Center in the building lobby.